HE Abdirahman Omar Osman (Eng. Yarisow), the Mayor of Mogadishu & Governor of Benadir Region today received in his office the Deputy SRSG Mr. Peter de Clercq, Resident and Humanitarian Coordinator for Somalia, Professor Walter Kaelin Special Advisor on Internal Displacement, and Representatives from the World Bank to discuss humanitarian efforts in Mogadishu and Durable Solutions Initiative for displaced population.
The Mayor of Mogadishu stated that the capital city of Mogadishu there are over 500,000 Internally Displaced Persons (IDPs) and the Benadir Regional Administration (BRA) is committed to achieving robust solutions with national and international partners to improve quality of life for all. Through programs such as EU Reinteg, BRA will examine different schemes that are possible in managing the need for affordable housing for its urban poor. BRA is looking forward to working with international and local partners to assist the framework for Durable Solutions as follows:
• An urban management and development approach, which ensures access to land; access to basic infrastructure and services; and improved temporary and permanent housing as part of a sustainable urban development, integrating IDPs with the host community;
• Promoting durable resettlement to rural areas;
• An economic development approach in support of community-centered planning, training and monitoring process for livelihoods.
• A comprehensive IDP profiling to provide evidence-based information for strategic joint planning to ensure a needs-based approach.
• Psychological rehabilitation program to assist holistic reintegration adjustment process.
BRA sees these strategies as the key to long-term durable solutions through which IDPs will progressively integrate and resume a normal life.